dotConnect for SQL Server, formerly known as SQLDirect .NET, is an enhanced data provider for SQL Server that builds on ADO.NET technology and SqlClient to present a complete solution for developing SQL Server-based database applications. As part of the Devart database application development framework, dotConnect for SQL Server offers both high performance native connectivity to SQL Server and a number of innovative development tools and technologies.
dotConnect for SQL Server introduces new approaches for designing application architecture, boosts productivity, and leverages database application implementation.
Advantages of dotConnect for SQL Server
Wide Coverage of SQL Server Features
The goal of dotConnect for SQL Server is to enable developers to write efficient and flexible database applications. The dotConnect for SQL Server assemblies are implemented using optimized code and advanced data access algorithms. Components undergo comprehensive performance tests and are designed to help you write thin and efficient product data access layers.
Database Application Development Extensions
dotConnect for SQL Server has rich set of design time tools that leverage the development process greatly. Particularly, there are convenient design time component editors, wizards and managers for typed SQL Server-specific components, toolset for live data binding, cross-form components cooperation, and much more. dotConnect for SQL Server integrates tightly with Visual Studio 2008 - 2015 and Delphi.
Both Connected and Disconnected Models
dotConnect for SQL Server combines connected and disconnected data access models in single SqlDataTable component, which allows you to design more flexible application architecture and use full power of data binding.
Comprehensive Support for ADO.NET Technology Features
dotConnect for SQL Server supports new ADO.NET features and technologies as soon as they are released. This includes base-class-based provider model, provider factories, connection string builder, metadata schemas, asynchronous commands, pooling enhancements, batch update support, provider-specific types, server enumeration, database change notification support and so on. dotConnect for SQL Server will continue supporting the newest standards and innovations of the .NET Framework.
The following list describes the main features of dotConnect for SQL Server.
- Direct access to SQL Server within 100% managed code
- High performance
- Operates in both connected and disconnected models
- Powerful SqlDataTable component as all-in-one table data access solution
- Auxiliary components for SQL scripts and bulk data transfer
- ASP.NET Provider Model support
- Extra data binding capabilities
- Cross-form components cooperation
- Ability of monitoring query execution
- Easy to deploy
- Supports the latest versions of SQL Server
- All SQL Server data types support
- Licensed royalty-free per developer, per team, or per site
New features in dotConnect for SQL Server 2.80
The current build is 2.80.1540 from 11-Aug-2016
- Visual Studio 2015 is supported
- The ColumnEncryptionKeyCacheTtl property that gets or sets the life time for column encryption key entries in the column encryption key cache for the Always Encrypted feature is added to the SqlConnection class
- The ColumnEncryptionQueryMetadataCacheEnabled property that enables or disables query metadata caching for parameterized queries for the Always Encrypted feature is added to the SqlConnection class
- The behaviour is changed: now the "Default Command Timeout" connection string parameter also affects SqlLoader behavior