WPViewPDF is a powerful PDF viewer component which allows you to view and print, but also to manipulate PDF data (not only) with Delphi (VCL) and .NET. As “PLUS” edition it can be used to merge PDF files into a new, single file. You can extract PDF pages or delete pages. It is also possible to add vector and text graphic to PDF files (stamping). The data can be loaded from memory, file or stream.
Unlike many competing products WPViewPDF displays even large PDF files instantly due to its multithreaded architecture.
This component has been developed as a window class which makes it compatible to most Windows based development systems.
Out of the box it can be used as ActiveX (OCX), in .NET development environments (i.e. Visual Studio) and as VCL in Delphi and C++Builder.
You can download a demo which includes the component as .NET, Delphi and ActiveX component and a small example application. The source for the components (C# and Pascal) is included as well.
The demo version also includes an executable demo.
Version 3 is the result of extensive work. We completely re-thought the logic which is require to load, render and manipulate PDF data to create this new version. It makes use of clever and effective caching for quick response times. It also makes use of multithreading for better user interaction.
The revised PrintHDC method for printing to any windows device should be now much easier to do than before and produce higher quality.
The multithreaded scrolling viewer can change quickly change between zoom states and various layout modes, including multi column display and side by side page layout. It can also display a separate thumbnail view to the PDF.
Unlike version 1 and 2 the new version 3 uses floating point numbers for graphic output which offers better print results for many PDF files. Despite the higher text rendering quality, printing will be faster since less data has to be transferred to the printer.
Unlike other, partly free solutions, the PDF is printed with GDI+ for better compatibility to printers. Further more it is possible to extract page contents as metafiles or render PDF pages on any device handle (HDC).
It is possible to add and move pages, right in the thumbnail view. Due to the multithreaded paint routine the user does not have to wait for redraw. WPViewPDF “PLUS” will also save this changes!
It is possible to extract the current outlines (akn bookmarks) as XML.
Text extraction now also creates text in rich text format (RTF) – here the logic tries to make use of PDF tags to keep text together which belongs together.
WPViewPDF now also includes a decoder DLL for JBIG2 compressed images.
WPViewPDF supports 32 bit and also 64 bit applications!
Customizable compact WPViewPDF window
The WPViewPDF engine DLL also exports a number of simple to use functions.
If you only need PDF printing, for example in a C or C++ application, you can access the method pdfPrint directly.
You can use pdfMakeJPEG to convert certain PDF pages to JPEG and also PNG files.
With the PLUS edition You can use pdfMerge to combine PDF files (optionally also apply stamping, i.e. page numbering) and use pdfConvertToTIFF to create a multipage TIFF file.
This methods are also available as “W” functions to accept unicode strings.
Why do I need a PDF viewer component?
- If you need to embed a PDF viewer into your application, then you need WPViewPDF since this will, most likely, no longer be allowed with the Acrobat(tm) Viewer Version 6 or later.)
- If you need to load PDF files from memory, then you need WPViewPDF which will allow you to load PDF files from any stream. The stream interface makes it possible for you to use your own encryption/decryption scheme for the loading process.
- If you need to print the PDF files created by your own application, then you need WPViewPDF which makes it possible to print several PDF files using just one printer job without starting any external application
- If you need to use information from PDF files as background images in your application, then you need WPViewPDF since it has the ability to extract PDF pages as metafiles or print to a windows device (HDC).
- You can offer the user the ability to add custom texts and highlighting areas to a PDF file.
- You can extract text from PDF under program control
- Create a transparent highlight rectangle on a page and move it under program control (or let the user drag and move it)
- Read and write (PLUS Edition) to fields on PDF forms. This makes it possible to fill out such forms under program control.
- Last but not least: Imagine a powerful and versatile print and preview which is based completely on PDF files. The PDF files can be viewed, printed (with WPViewPDF or Acrobat(tm) Reader), stored or send via e-mail!
- Multithreaded scrolling window for fast reaction on scroll and zoom commands.
- Optional thumbnail window.
- Completely new rendering based using floating point coordinates.
- much improved support for embedded fonts, such as subset fonts.
- Updated image rendering for faster display of large JPEG images and anti aliased display of monochrome images.
- support for Type3 fonts.
- Support for 128 bit AES decryption
- Can optionally use external plugin to support JBIG2 encoded images
- Support for LAB colors and transparent colors.
- Improved Acro-field rendering, read and update (with PLUS).
- Faster printing with several stretching options.
- Improved and enhanced PDF to image conversion (BMP, EMF, JPEG).
- Improved conversion to Text – now also conversion to RTF and HTML.
- Exported print, merge and conversion methods now also available as “W” version for unicode strings.
- Improved scripted stamping to add page numbers quickly.
- Add image, text and vector objects, i.e. highlights which can be sized and moved by user or program.
- Updated search and highlighting functionality.
- Automatic repair makes reading of PDF files possible which could not be opened otherwise.
- Improved API
- Support for 64bit applications with Delphi XE3 or later
- NEW interactive thumbnails, move pages, select pages to delete or save them (in PLUS edition)
- Improved DLL functions. The pdfMerge function can also apply text stamps.
- In the thumbnail view it is possible to select pages – the program can add a menu to delete or save pages. Use drag&drop to move pages.