String-O-Matic performs search and replace operations with multiple strings in multiple files. It was designed specifically for computer programmers working on large projects with many source code files, however any type of file can be used, including HTML. String-O-Matic will save you so much time and tedium, it pays for itself on the first use.
- Works with all versions of Windows 10, 8, 2012, 7, 2008, Vista, XP, 2003, and 2000.
- Works on 8-bit ASCII, 16-bit Unicode, and UTF-8 files.
- Not only can search and replace operations be performed on the contents of one or more files, but on their filenames as well. This is very useful for the automated mass renaming of files.
- The "Whole Word" option can be used to ignore matches that occur inside a word. For example, "amp" would be ignored if found in "example".
- The question mark and asterisk "wildcards" are optionally supported in search and replace strings.
- The search-only option allows you to preview the changes before they are made.
- Permits case-sensitive or case-insensitive searches. This includes all unicode letters, not just the latin letters in ASCII.
- Optional "Prompt on replace" mode supported.
- The source files can be backed up into a compressed Zip file. This can optionally be done automatically before a search and replace operation starts. Might just save your job.
- A MS-DOS command batch can be executed before and after the operation, and before and after a file is changed. This is useful for automating certain chores.
- The line numbers on which the operation is performed can be limited to a certain range.
- A detailed operation log is generated.
- Great care is taken when making changes to a file. The old file is renamed to a temporary file for safe keeping. The replacement is then written and verified. If no errors occur, the temporary backup file is deleted. Otherwise, the backup file is restored and the error is reported. These steps help ensure that data never gets lost, even in the event of a drive error.
- Includes a tool for normalizing line-breaks. This fixes files with bare carriage returns, bare line-feeds, and backwards line-breaks. It can also trim whitespace from the end of lines, thereby reducing the file size.
- Includes a tool for bulk filename case conversions.
- A thorough Help File describes all features in detail. A Tutorial and Wizard can assist with project configuration.